First aid at work
The Health and Safety (First-Aid) Regulations 1981. Approved Code of Practice and guidance
Second edition – applies up to and including 30 September 2013 (subject to ministerial approval)
From 1 October 2013 (subject to Parliamentary approval) amended Health and Safety (First-Aid) Regulations MAY come into effect, the guidance in the third edition of L74 will apply. A draft version of the third edition is available for download on the HSE website here: https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/l74.htm.
Please note that if you download a copy before 1 October, the draft may be subject to further change before the third edition comes into effect.
This guidance is for employers. It sets out what employers need to do to address first-aid provision in the workplace.
It provides guidance on:
- managing the provision of first aid (first-aid kit, equipment, rooms etc)
- requirements and training for first-aiders
- requirements for appointed persons
- making employees aware of first-aid arrangements
- first aid and the self-employed
- cases where first-aid regulations do not apply