On 01 April the SIA introduced an updated close protection qualification for new applicants into the sector. The updated qualification features four new units covering:
- bespoke physical intervention skills
- knowledge of door supervisor responsibilities (including protecting vulnerable people)
- legislation, threat and risk management
- personal skills, surveillance awareness, search procedures, foot drills, venue security, journey management reconnaissance and preparing and carrying out a close protection assignment.
- the existing units which cover the theoretical and practical aspects of working as a close protection operative have been refreshed.
They also announced the introduction of top-up training for close protection operatives who apply to renew their SIA licence from 01 October 2022.
These changes, which are based on the views of expert stakeholders, reflect extensive research and discussion with the industry.
The top-up training will be available from 01 July 2022. The new top-up qualification will include physical intervention skills, safety-critical content and terror threat awareness. Operatives must make sure that their first aid qualification has at least one year to run before they take the top-up training.
Note from Prosec: We are noticing more clients now stating a FREC 3 qualification is required rather than a First Aid at Work
Throughout our engagement with the private security industry, concerns were raised that skills fade over time. The introduction of top-up training will help to ensure that all operatives have the knowledge and skills to deal with common risks, especially in safety-critical areas. The top-up requirements will only affect existing licence holders when they come to renew their licence after 01 October 2022. This means that these changes for existing licence holders will roll out over the course of the next three years
Hello my Cp licence expires next month, I need to renew and um free to do so from Aprill 15 do you run any courses
We are currently in the process of organising a CP top-up course. We are looking to have this scheduled in as soon as possible.
I can pop you an email as soon as we have dates in place to see if you’d like to book on.